2019 Annual Timeline
1) Started year with 246 members!
2) “Dink” clinic started on Thursdays at Catherine Strong Park for members by Ed Smith and Carl Steinberg.
3) Call went out for Tournament, Events, and Player Development Chairpersons.
4) Club Round Robins continued on alternating Tuesday nights.
1) Pam Garcia & Norm Dickman are voted in as Tournament Director and Player Development Chairpersons respectively.
2) Ed Smith resigns as President due to family health issues.
3) Glenn Kessler (current VP) is voted in as new DBPC President and George Breault is voted in as VP and continues as Membership Chair until someone else takes over.
1) Daniella Niss is voted in as Events Chairperson.
2) Pam Garcia started CPR classes for members.
3) Toby Kaye takes the leadership role for the DBPC to assist the Parks & Rec Department with running the Senior Games. Many members volunteer and the games ran very well.
4) Annette & George Breault, with DBPC volunteers, help run the 2nd annual Gift of Life Round Robin sponsored by the DBPC and Valencia Palms at the TC. 64 players attended. Barbara Cohen, a Bone Marrow survivor, gave a short speech and the DBPC presented Gail Oliver with a check for $1000.
5) Norm Dickman (Player Development Chair) began a Intermediate Level Skill Clinic at Catherine Strong on Wednesdays with the help of other club members.
6) DBPC donated $1000 to the Habitat For Humanity Delray Beach Chapter.
7) Changes to Parks & Rec personnel-Suzanne Fisher became Asst City Manager and Sam Metott took over Suzanne’s role as Director of Parks & Rec (this is important as all of our efforts to get Veterans Park re-purposed for pickleball will now go through Sam).
1) National Pickleball Month - Events Chair Daniella Niss puts on a fun event with pickleball games and challenges during open play at the Tennis Center. Members were allowed to ‘bring a friend’.
2) Joe Aronstein takes over as administrator of the Delray Beach Pickleball Forum on Facebook.
3) DBPC held it’s 1st Ref training session taught by certified ref Derrick Prince.
4) Norm and a small group of volunteers went into a private community who asked for a demonstration and information on putting PB courts into their community. It passed thanks to their help.
5) Glenn Kessler & Cara Gallo, along with other members, met with the head of the Miracle Baseball League to try to start a partnership with them.
1) US Open-many DPBC members played and received medals. A group set up a canopy and brought a DPBC banner and flyers to hand out advertising our tournament.
2) Miracle Baseball League asked the DBPC to make a video with the players to use as advertisement not only for the MBL but also for DBPC use.
3) Carl Steinberg resigned as Treasurer due to health reasons.
4) Reassignment of Board Duties-Joe Aronstein becomes interim VP and continues with communications, George Breault becomes interim Treasurer and continues with Membership.
TrackitHub is introduced to Club members as a new way to join and renew membership to the DBPC.
1) Abby from Parks & Rec joins with the DBPC to put on the 1st Beginners Clinic at Catherine Strong Park.
2) George Breault and many volunteers helped Raul Travieso run a RR in Boca for the Children’s Burn Foundation. The DBPC presented Raul with a check for $1000.
Began having members sign up for the Wednesday Intermediate Clinic by using TrackitHub.
1) Jay Barbour is voted in as a new Board member taking on the role of Membership Chairperson. Jay had already started ladders, now he starts one just for Club members on Thursday nights.
2) Began regular Beginners Clinics every other Tuesday at Catherine Strong Park. Players sign up with Abby from P&R.
3) ‘Back to School-Back to Cool’ indoor pickleball event takes place at the Community Center to benefit the Achievement Centers for Children & Families of Delray Beach. Participants fill the Orange Pickleball Central bags with school supplies. The Club provided open play and refreshments.
4) Joe Aronstein began including ‘Calendar of Events’ in the Monday E-blast.
1) DBPC purchased a Playmate Commercial Pickleball Machine. It is securely housed at Catherine Strong Park for use by certified operators. It is used for the clinics.
2) DBPC gave Catherine Strong Park a banner with Club information to hang in the courts on request from the facility director Rachel.
3) Glenn Kessler & Lew Blatt started a ‘Step Up’ clinic on alternating Tuesday mornings at Catherine Strong.
4) Glenn Kessler presented the Miracle Baseball League a pickleball gift basket worth $200 for their annual fundraiser.
5) The Tuesday night DBPC RR begins using the TrackitHub website to allow members to sign up.
6) Several DBPC club members assisted P&R with a Kids Fun Day during the Halloween Children’s Fest by holding introductory pickleball lessons for the children.
7) Gunther Motors becomes the 1st ever Title Sponsor of the Delray Beach Pickleball Classic!
The month for non-stop preparing for the Tournament!
1) DBPC put on the 2019 Delray Beach Gunther Pickleball Classic! 506 players and several spectators enjoyed 4 days of pickleball play. PRO players participated for the 1st time.
2) Plaques and donations were given to Ed Smith & Carl Steinberg for their many years of hard work starting the DBPC. Donation of $100 was made in honor of Cynthia Smith to the Kidney
Foundation, and $100 donation was made to the Oral Cancer Foundation in honor of Carl Steinberg.
3) A Toy Drive was held in conjunction with the Pickleball Classic and all toys were donated to the Achievement Centers for Children & Families of Delray Beach.
4) CPR was introduced to players, volunteers and spectators during the Pickleball Classic.
5) Gift of Life was able to swab several willing volunteers!
6) $500 donation was made to a Go Fund Me account to assist club member Pam Lefcourt who was in a life debilitating car accident and will need to be specially transported to Boston area to be near family.
Several times during the year, DBPC volunteered to help introduce pickleball to Palm Beach County School PE teachers, and also to those with disabilities.
As of 12/15/19 there are 356 members in the DBPC!
Compiled by Annette Breault, Secretary